Saturday, April 27, 2013

Wow!

Okay, i'll admit this has absolutely nothing to with vegetables but I was so thrilled that I wanted to share.
I'm getting things ready for the move, and didn't really want to fork over the $6 for the "dishwasher cleaner" at Kroger so I looked to other avenues. That's $6 saved on a dishwasher I don't ever have to see again, it adds up!
After googling a little bit I concocted a recipe that utilized a few different methods and it worked great!


1 large lemon
1-2 cups white vinegar (buy offbrand, it's the exact same thing and usually close to $1.00 a gallon)
1/2 capful of Downey fabric softener (takes off residual dish detergent!).


Total cost: Lemon $0.33, Vinegar $0.13, Downey $0.20: $0.66!


I took everything out of the dish washer, racks silverware holder etc and just gave it a quick wipe down to make sure nothing yucky was stuck to it.
Then I turned on the dishwasher (nothing in it at this point) and let it run a few minutes so it could drain.
Put all the parts back inside, chopped up my lemon into 4 equal sized parts put one part in the silverware holder, 2 slices on the top rack and the other slice on the bottom rack.
Pour the liquids into the dishwasher and let it resume running.
About halfway through the wash cycle unlock the door (so it stops running) set a timer and let the liquid sit in the bottom for 10 minutes to let the vinegar do it's stuff, then lock it back to resume wash.


Ta-da! My dishwasher looks brand new and it smells awesome. No elbow grease required :)

No comments:

Post a Comment